top of page

Student Visa

대학 캠퍼스의 자전거

What is Student Visas?

The Student visa (subclass 500) allows you to remain in Australia for up to 5 years for the purpose of full-time study at an educational institution, in line with your enrolment. Student Guardian Visa 590 will allow a guardian to come to Australia to provide care and support for a Student Visa holder who is under 18 years of age.


Subclass 500

Student Visa

복도에서 소녀

Subclass 590

Student Guardian Visa

What are the Student Visa Requirements?

  • Passport. Applicants who want a student visa for Australia should submit a valid passport issued by your current country of residence/birth country. You may also be required to submit a copy of your national ID and driver’s license.

  • Biometrics. For students coming from certain countries, they are required to provide biometrics. The Immigration Office will let you know if they need your fingerprints.

  • Student Visa Application Form. The application form for a student visa has to be filled in, signed, and submitted with the rest of the required documents.

  • Age Requirements. Students must be 6 or older to apply for the subclass 500 visa. Moreover, students have to be a certain age when they begin your primary, secondary, or tertiary education:

    • Younger than 17 years old when they begin year 9 of school.

    • Younger than 18 years old when they begin year 10 of school.

    • Younger than 19 years old when they begin year 11 of school.

    • Younger than 20 years old when they begin year 12 of school.

  • Evidence of Study Program. When you apply for a student visa in Australia you have to submit a Confirmation Letter of Enrollment (CoE) for all of the courses you plan on taking during your study program. Your CoE has to be submitted before your visa is granted. Remember that your CoE expires and it’s your resposibility to make sure that you have a valid CoE during your stay otherwise your student visa may be canceled. If you are taking more than one study course, you must submit all of CoE pertaining to those study courses. If you don’t, then your visa will be valid only for that study course. You are allowed to take 2 or more courses as long as the classes have a gap of at least two months between them and one course leads to the second one. Instead of a CoE, you need to submit a letter of support if you belong to one of these categories:

    • A student sponsored by the Australian Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade.

    • A student sponsored by the Department of Defence.

    • If you are a secondary exchange student, then you must submit an Acceptance Advice of Secondary Exchange Student Form.

    • Postgraduate research students who are required to remain in Australia for their thesis have to provide a letter from their education provider.

  • Parental Consent. If you are bringing a child under 18 years old with you, and one of the parents is not accompanying the child to Australia, then there should be a parental consent form attached to the visa application.

  • Civil Documents. You have to provide documents such as; your birth certificate, marriage certificate, divorce papers, adoption papers, including evidence of your relationship with a partner. If you changed your name, you must also provide a certificate verifying your name change.

  • Health Insurance. Students need to have adequate health insurance for their Australia visa application. Student applicants and their family members must be covered by Overseas Student Health Cover (OSCH). The insurance must be valid from the day students arrive in Australia and not from the date their courses begin. Students must get OSHC from an approved provider and then pay for the insurance policy, if applicants don’t have health insurance they may not be allowed to enter Australia. Students may be exempted from health insurance if:

    • They are Norwegian students covered by the Norwegian National Insurance Scheme.

    • They are a Swedish student covered by Kammarkollgiet.

    • They are a Belgian student under the Reciprocal Health Care Agreements with Australia.

  • Evidence of Financial Capacity. You must provide:

    • Enough financial funds to support your travel costs, 1 year of living in Australia, and enough funds to cover your tuition fees (including funds to cover family members), or

    • Proof that family members will financially support the applicant during your study programme. The family members must have an annual income of at least AUD 62,222 for single students and AUD 72,592 for students who have other family members with them, or

    • Acceptance Advice of Secondary Exchange Student Form for exchange students, or

    • A letter of support from either the Australian Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade or the Department of Defence.

  • English Language Certification.

  • Character Requirements. Students who want to study in Australia have to meet the requirements for good character laid out by the Australian authorities.

  • Genuine Temporary Entrant. Students must provide a written statement stating their intention to study temporarily in Australia. The genuine temporary entrant requirement is important because it shows the Immigration Office that you don’t intend to overstay after your visa expires.

  • Employment History. You must also submit documents proving your employment. This could include a recent contract or a current contract if you are working at the moment, you may also submit your updated CV. In case you have been studying until now, you can submit a copy of your transcripts.  This requirement is not applicable to students who are sponsored by the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade or the Department of Defence, or secondary exchange students.

  • Form 157N. This form is required only for students younger than 18 years of age. They have to provide a nomination form in order to take a guardian with them to Australia (see below).

  • Australian Values Statement. Future students in Australia have to sign an Australian values statement confirming that they will uphold all the Australian values and laws.

  • Authorised Recipient Form. If someone else is helping you with your application you must submit this form. In case you have a migration agent helping you, then include this form. You may also write a letter and upload it to your ImmiAccount explaining why you need help and who is helping you.

With this Visa you can

What are the eligibility criteria?

  • you must be 6 years or older

  • provide a Confirmation of Enrolment (CoE) at a full-time course registered on the Commonwealth Register of Institutions and courses for Overseas Students, CRICOS

  • show evidence of your English language skills

  • you and your family members must be covered by Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC) from an approved Australian health insurance provider for the length of your stay in Australia

  • If you’re under 18 years of age, you must have adequate welfare arrangements in place while you are in Australia

  • meet health and character requirements

  • have enough money for your stay

What is the process for applying for a Student visa?

  • if you’re outside Australia, apply for your visa at least 6 weeks before your course begins.

  • If you’re in Australia, allow plenty of time before your current visa expires as you may need more time in the event of any complications.

  • Use the Document Checklist Tool and gather your documents. Ensure you have the most current list as the Document Checklist tool is updated from time to time.

  • Apply for this visa online in or outside of Australia.

  • Create or log in to Immi Account, attach documents and pay the vis application charge.

Subclass 500
Student Visa


Base application charge

Additional applicant charge
(18 and over)


Additional applicant charge (under 18)

Subclass 590
Student Guardian Visa 


Base application charge




How much does it cost to apply for '
Partner Visas?

Why Norris Chau Migration & Education?

Self Portrait-1-white.png

As customer-focused attorneys, we approach each moment with care and compassion, striving to deliver the best outcomes possible. We stand by our clients, every step of the way, because we know that the journey is just as important as the destination.

Norris Chau, General Director

bottom of page